There are several disciplines in yoga and there are different ways to do it. One of these is mindfulness meditation wherein a person learns how to be fully aware of his surroundings including where he is and what he is doing. He is also taught how to be composed and not to be overwhelmed with all the things that are happening around him. If you want to know how to do mindfulness meditation, you need to understand the basic principle behind the exercise. Mindfulness is about putting space between the self and the way we react to certain situations. One can say that he has already mastered mindfulness meditation when he can do away with reacting to how his surrounding expects him to reacts.
Here’s how mindfulness meditation is done:
- Allocate a dedicated time. You don’t need special equipment or even a meditation bench or cushion in order to perform mindfulness meditation. You just have to have time and space for it.
- Observe your surroundings. Those who are interested with mindfulness wants to know how to do mindfulness meditation and if they need to keep their mind quiet to achieve mental relaxation. Almost, but that is not the main goal of mindfulness meditation. It’s about paying attention to what is happening at the present moment without any judgment.
- Allow your judgments pass you by. During the meditation, it will be natural to have your own judgment on your surroundings. Take a mental note of these judgments and let them pass you by.
- Go back to observing the present moment. The mind is usually carried away with thoughts, which is why, it is important to master how you can go back to the present moment after your mind is drifted off by your thoughts.
- Be kind to your drifting mind. One effective way on how to do mindfulness meditation is to be kinder to your wandering mind. Do not judge your thoughts even if it wanders off repeatedly. Learn how to bring it back to the present because it is the essence of mindfulness meditation.